So Long Friend. :’)

Last Updated on September 18, 2018

It’s been raining the whole day. Yeah, you could say it’s been a gloomy and pretty cold day. If you could relate to the events that happened yesterday, well it should fit perfectly.

In college, I belong to this AMAZING class of Agronomy and Horticulture (AGH) 45. Why 45? That’s what they call the class of 2008 (Indonesian) or 2012 (American) in Bogor Agricultural University aka. IPB. This class consist of 159 students from all over Indonesia. Yes, there are representative from every major island is present in my class. ๐Ÿ™‚ That’s why we made the name Indigenous 45. Indigenous means it’s locally originated from a place. In that case, all of us comes from all over Indonesia. Plus the tagline “Incredible, Dilligent, Energetic and Famous” pits perfectly with us. Hahaha. ๐Ÿ˜‰ So screw the senior haters who likes to messed up our names. :p

Well, yesterday on August 14 2010, I attended the second session of the English Journalistic workshop arranged by my campus and The Jakarta Post. It was really cool, in the Rector’s Conference Room and we have tons of cool writting excersises. I’ll tell you more about that later. ๐Ÿ™‚ And then in the middle of the workshop, I got a call from my dad. He said that one of my classmates passed away. I was in awe. I couldn’t believe it. I mean, I know my dad is a lecturer in my departement, but if someone passed away in my class, I should know before he does, right? After the call, I went back and chatted with some of my friends. I told them what I heard, it was akward. I mean not knowing what’s going on and if it’s real or not.

I text some people afterwards and I finally got the answer. Yes, my beloved friend, our classmates in AGH 45, Arya Winzan, passed away. :’( I couldn’t believe it. I think all of us can’t believe it. Honestly, I couldn’t concentrate on the workshop anymore, thankfully it was the last session. I continue to chat and texting people wanting to know what happened all that stuff. So after I got the news, they said that he was sick and it was a cardiac arrest or something. Just something wrong with his heart. His friends found him around 11 AM in his room and took him to Katili clinic near campus. Sadly, he didn’t make it. ๐Ÿ™ Then they took him to a place in Cibinong and this morning they flew him out to his hometown, Medan. Too bad I didn’t have a chance to see him for the last time.


It was devastating. All day, I was looking through our class facebook and twitter status, it was just deppresing. We all lost him, the nice quiet guitarist of AGH 45, and we just can’t believe it. I last seen him at August 6 and I was commenting on how fit his body is. LOL. Come to think of it, our last conversation was kinda funny. And I still can’t believe that’s the last time I saw and talked to him. EVER. He was just 20. Gonna start the 5th semester. Just like me. Damn, you never know how long the time you have in this world. ๐Ÿ™ So, now I keep playing the song How To Save a Life by The Fray. And I have the urge to cry everytime the reff played, sigh. :’(

The sad thing is, that we all can’t be together with him 2 years later in GWW getting our diploma. We can’t see him in our reunions 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 40 years later. We can’t see him suceed in life just like the rest of us will be in the long run. But we’ll always cherish him as a part of us. Part of our Indigenous 45 family. Hey this is life. You’ll never know when and how it will end. Just cherish every moment that you have. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll close this post with part of the lyrics of the song How To Save a Life and a closing statement. In our hearts, Indigenous 45 is always gonna be 159 people, no matter what. Cheers. :’)

.. Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life…


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.